Subject: Re: NFS Problems
To: Rob Hewlett <rhewlett@novalink.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/1995 09:30:02
On Mon, 07 Aug 1995 10:05:15 +0100
 rhewlett@novalink.com (Rob Hewlett) wrote:

 > I'm having a problem getting NFS to work properly on NetBSD.  I've set up
 > the exports file, and set the proper flags in netstart, in fact, the drive
 > even appears to be available through showmount.  However, when you attempt
 > to access the drive, it fails miserably (you never return to a command
 > prompt).  The process table shows mountd running, but not nfsd.  Any
 > suggestions?

Hmmm...I'd guess that you don't have `options NFSSERVER' in your kernel
config file.

If I understand it correctly, mountd simply pushes the export list into
the kernel and fields mount requests from other hosts, so this won't
necessarily require NFSSERVER.  However, nfsd definitely does, and will
exit with an error condition of it's not present.

Hope this helps...