Subject: Re: /dev/xf86 ... how does one make it?
To: None <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1995 19:37:28
>From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
>Date: Fri, 04 Aug 95 14:17:00 PDT

>checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
>        trying aperture driver
>checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/xf86 (No such file or directory)
>        linear fb access unavailable
>
>1) why can /dev/mem not be opened and what would it afford if it could?
>2) how do I mknod /dev/xf86 and what will it afford?

The X server is slower if it can't access the framebuffer directly.

The framebuffer issue is explained in README.NetBSD, which is included
in the XFree86 distribution.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));