Subject: help with nameservers and hostname resolution
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/1995 09:50:47
I am trying to set up the domain name server for NetBSD-1.0/i386.  I
have created the following file /etc/named.boot

sortlist 128.123.0.0
directory	/etc/namedb
secondary	nmsu.edu	128.123.3.5 128.123.2.19	nmsuhosts.bak
forwarders			128.123.3.5 128.123.2.19

which was my best guess at a correct way of querying the local
servers.

When I run named the backup file /etc/namedb/nmsuhosts.bak contains a
long list of hosts, so I am guessing that the servers are being
queried properly.

However, if I telnet (for example) to one of the hosts listed there
that is not in /etc/hosts I get the error

whateverhost.domain: Unknown host

Does this mean the my local processes are not querying my local name
server?   If so, what is the next step in setting this up?

Have I messed up my /etc/named.boot file?  If so, what should it be?

Finally, will this file work for hosts in other domains?  I.e., will I
have to add lines for authoritative servers in other domains or will
the forwarders line take care of that?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook

Brook Milligan	                   bmilliga@nmsu.edu
Department of Biology              505-646-7980
New Mexico State University        505-646-5665 FAX
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003