Subject: Re: RAM amounts
To: ram bhamidipaty <Achyutram.Bhamidipaty@Eng.Sun.COM>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/02/1995 17:20:17
"In a previous message, ram bhamidipaty wrote:"

> I have 13meg in my system right now and I'm thinking about swapping
> one 1meg simm for a 4meg simm. But I'm not sure the extra 3 meg
> would do anything for me. I'd rather not spend $120 on something that
> will not create a noticeable performance improvement.
>
> Any comments?
>
> I normally run X, a few xterms, and emacs. Most of
> the work I do is compiling and editing files.

Try looking at your system for a while and see if it paging a lot.  "pstat
-s" will tell you how much swap space you are using at a given time.  Your
current amount of RAM is comfortable, I think, but 16mb is what I'd
reccommend for X + compiling.  With the new ram, you can afford to make a
/fast directory mounted with a memory file system, and put
commonly-executed programs there, such as xterm, ls, echo, ksh, etc...

Bottom line: if it ain't broke, don't fix it... but if you notice that you
have to wait a second or two while doing a lot for things to page in, go
for the extra RAM.

Mark