Subject: Re: help mounting all DOS second drive
To: Thomas J. Trebisky <tom@as.arizona.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/31/1995 02:14:21
> I was just handed a second 540M ide drive, which I cabled onto my
> system, just all the jumpers set up fine, and DOS sees it as a D:
> drive.  NetBSD knows it is there (it finds it as wd1 during the
> startup probe and announces it properly).
>
> The condition under which I was given this drive was, that I would backup
> all the DOS stuff on it to tape, and give the tape to the prior
> owner.  I said "No sweat", we'll just slap it on my system, mount
> it up and tar the mess over the network to one of our exabyte drives
> and that should take an hour or so......
>
> Now, 2 days later, I am not too much closer to a solution, the problem
> being that I cannot just dos mount wd1d, since I need to offset it a
> track from the start of the disk to get around the MBR and such to the
> start of the actual DOS stuff.  And being an all-DOS drive, there is
> no BSD style disk label anywhere on it to define partition info.

Use "disklabel -e /dev/wd1d" to "edit" the disklabel - it will warn
you that there's no BSD label, and, when you exit the editor, having
put in the parameters for your new label, it will say that you have to
run disklabel -r to put the label on wd1 in the first place.  *UNDER
NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS*.  Say 'n' when it asks you if you want to
edit the label again.  You should now have a disklabel in memory,
and so you should be able to mount the disk e.g.

	mount -t msdos /dev/wd1a /dos2

(assuming that you gave the `a' partition to disklabel for the DOS
partition on disk, and you're mounting the new disk on /dos2).

I'd be surprised if this didn't work, as I've used it on SCSI disks in
the past.  I hope you've got a backup of all this before you go through
it - it's very easy to lose disklabels when you muck around with
disklabel, and I'm not responsible for any data loss.

Hope this works for you,
Alistair

PS. My DOS-only drive has an offset of 32, rather than 1 track. YMMV.
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                	   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.