Subject: Re: Can 1.0 handle LBA drive?
To: Jim Spath <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/1995 16:59:44
"In a previous message, Jim Spath wrote:"

> According to "CHANGES" :
>     Implemented EIDE multi-sector PIO, DMA, and LBA modes. [mycroft
>         11/22/94]
>
> Does this mean I can't load 1.0 onto this drive?  If not, is there
> a reasonably stable -current I can grab?  I'm using 1.0 now on
> non-EIDE drives.  Drop me a line if you've installed this or similar
> drives.  Thanks!

I have an EIDE drive on my system.  I assume this means it has LBA
addressing.  However, my controller is IDE, so it accesses it in the old
manner.  I used this under 1.0 as well.  I assume that 1.0 + EIDE
controller + EIDE drive works as well, but it just don't use LBA mode.  I
hear rumor that another i386 binary snapshot is coming.  I hope another
tarball of sources is.  I started almost every sentence in the message with
"I".  I need help!  :)

Mark