Subject: Re: about to buy a...
To: Aman Sinha <sinha@pine.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Rodney W. Grimes <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1995 21:11:24

> > core team members do own bt946 cards and we are not happy about the
> > situation one bit.  My 2 boards now sit on the shelf and collect dust
> > having been replaced by $72.00 NCR 53C810 cards.
>
> This discussion could not have come at a better time for me. I am about to
> upgrade my Pentium-90, by adding a 2GB fast wide SCSI disk and am in the
> market for a fast wide PCI SCSI controller. From the discussion in this
> newsgroup, it seems my choices have narrowed down to either an Adaptec2940W
> controller or an NCR 53C8xx chipset based controller. What I am not sure is
> which are the cards that support the above NCR chipset? Could someone point
> out the relevant controller numbers along with their vendor names?

XX. ASI ASUS-SC-200 ASUS SC-200 NCR 53C810 fast SCSI-2 controller      $  72.00
XX. MER DTC-3130 DTC 3130 NCR 53C810 fast SCSI-2 controller            $  81.00
XX. TMG ACCPCIP/20 Acculogic PCIpport-20, NCR53C825 SCSI controller    $ 184.00

The first one and last one are standard off the shelf (ie, in stock) items
for me.  The DTC board also comes in a BIOS version as DTC 3131, but I don't
have a price on that version that is valid any more since I have gone to
using motherboards that have the NCR SDMS BIOS built into them.

Manufacuters and model numbers are all above, you should be able to price
shop and possibly find lower prices, heck even the distributor is endcoded
above :-).