Subject: Re: about to buy a...
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Mike Wlodarczyk <mike@delfin.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1995 11:24:17
Eric S. Hvozda wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jul 1995 06:53:32 -0700  David Greenman wrote:
> >    It's true. The Bt946 boards from Buslogic have had a variety of
> > incompatibility problems and my personal experiance is that the don't
> > work in more motherboards than the work in. For FreeBSD, we recommend
> > either the Adaptec 2940 or the NCR 53C810 based cards. YMMV.
>
> Ah.
>
> I wish I had known that before I purchased the machine.  I actually went
> out of my way to get the BT.  I read NetBSD mailing lists faithfuly,
> and I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, or was I asleep one day
> and just missed it?

I did notice the FreeBSD posting and it had more to do with not being able
to get the tech support one ore more people wanted/expected.

On the other hand, I had a rev A 946C and it would not work in either of
the ASUS mb's I had (SP3G,P54TP4) so I emailed their tech support, got a
reply and a phonecall, the upshot of which was that I got a rev E board the
next day. It solved the incompatibilty problems that I was having (which
by the way were PCI/BIOS related, not hardware related; the rev A worked if
I disabled the BIOS).

I should also say that the NCR810 that the SP3G has onboard and the P54TP4 has
with the ASUS SC-200 card, were not problem free either. While NetBSD worked
properly with them and all my disk drives, Windows-NT would not boot with
a Toshiba MK438FB drive attached, and UnixWare 2 had serious timeout problems
with a Seagate ST32550N (Barracuda 2LP). Exactly where the problems lie in
these cases is difficult to say, but replacing the NCR with Buslogics did
eliminate (avoid ?) these fatal problems.

The Mileage is certainly Varying here...
--
Mike Wlodarczyk
mike@delfin.com