Subject: Re: about to buy a...
To: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1995 06:42:08
On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 22:45:39 -0500 (EST)  Mark F Willey wrote:

> The main things that I am worried about is the quality of the monitor, and
> the NCR SCSI.  Does anyone know, is that a good SCSI controller, and might
> I be better off with a Buslogic, etc?

You might want to stick with the NCR.  I recently purchased a new Pentium
system with AWARD BIOS and a BT946C.  I have a nifty 'problem' with
the BT in that it doesn't seem to save it's configuration in Auto-SCSI.

I called BT about it and they said it was my MB and the MB people said
it's BT :-(

I've used BT products previously without any problems;  I'm just exasperated
I'm having this kind of experience at all with it...

Basically it's a wash for me.  I've moved from CA to MA in the interim and
not had another chance to attempt to work on it.  All of this was with
NetBSD 1.0.  Th machine basically works under DOS, but I'd really like
to be running Net on it as well.

Also the adapter appears to report it at 0x130 instead of 0x330.

A freind mentioned something about the FreeBSD camp announcing that BT
is not the prefered PCI SCSI host adapter any longer.  I've not dug
though the FreeBSD mailing lists to determine if this is fact or
fiction tho.

Has anyone heard anything about this or had similar problems?

I'd like to try booting it with current, but I've just not had
the chance...