Subject: Re: about to buy a...
To: None <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Rodney W. Grimes <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/06/1995 23:59:34

> > ASUS 75/90/100/120 Triton MB
> >  o 3 PCI, 3 ISA, 1 ASUS

Slightly miss leading info here, it is 3 PCI, 1 PCI/ASUS Media/ISA shared
slot, and 2 ISA slots.

> >  o 256k/512k normal/burst pipe cache

256k/512k async cache on the motherboard, can be field upgraded via a
160pin DIMM to burst pipeline cache, currently the avalibility on this
module is near zero.  (I am an ASUS reseller and have been on the BO
list for them for 2 months, about 20 pieces hit the US 2 weeks ago and
I was not able to get even one of them :-().

> >  o "Award" BIOS w/ NCR SCSI BIOS in 1Mbit flash EPROM
>
> I've had no complaints with my ASUS SP3G, and I'm impressed with the
> construction of the board, and of the quality of the ASUS manuals in
> general.

The ASUS SP3G is a _very_ good product, something I wish a few more
boards would use as a model.  ASUS is an ISO9002 compliant manufacturer
who's quality easily surpases that of any US MB manufacture I have
looked at (and I have looked at a lot of them!).

> > 15" ViewSonic monitor (0.28 dp, digital, flat screen, 1280x1024)
>
> Reasonably good (I have one), but given the chance, I'd replace it with
> a Sony 15SF1 (costs about 15% more, but worth it for the quality.)

Sound advice.

> > Mach64 GUP Turbo 64-bit PCI 4mb VRAM
>
> no idea.

I prefer S3 over Mach chips, but this board should be fine.

> > NCR PCI SCSI Controller
>
> Good, fast. Drivers for DOS suck, but Win95 and NetBSD support it well.

Humm.. well, I don't run DOS much at all so I can't speak to that point,
but for *BSD it is as good as the next controller, and price wise it is
a clear winner on the $/performance curve.

> > The main things that I am worried about is the quality of the monitor, and
> > the NCR SCSI.  Does anyone know, is that a good SCSI controller, and might
> > I be better off with a Buslogic, etc?
>
> > I'm also looking for good PCI ethernet hardware.  Any winners out there?
>
> no idea.

Don't know if NetBSD has the support for it, but the Compex PCI ENET-32
is a good one, as is the SMC9332 10/100MB/s board.