Subject: i386 serial comms problem
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marcus Barczak <s933414@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/1995 00:40:09
Greetings,

I have recently installed NetBSD 1.0, and upgraded to -current over
the weekend and have been having some trouble with serial comms.

I have experimented under using three methods ...

1.  Minicom 1.70 & rz/sz
    Problem: When using rz, if I change to another virtual console,
    (i'm using pcvt) I suddenly start getting heaps of CRC errors
    until I switch back to the vc running rz.  Along with this the
    rate of silo overflows increases dramatically.  This has occured
    under the following conditions:

	14.4k modem connection, port speed = 115200, 57600 and 19200
	28.8k modem connection, port speed = 115200, 57600 and 38400
	115.2k direct connect
	38.4k direct connect
	9600 baud direct connect

    The most puzzling thing is I can transmit under all of the above
    conditions without a problem, no silo overflows or CRC errors.

2.  PPP
    Problem: When using PPP, I can establish a connection fine, I can
    send fine (was managing 3.2k/s without a hitch), whilst I was
    sending I also had two interactive sessions running, basically it
    was working very smoothly.  When I started ftping from my remote
    host back to myself I was receiving a huge number of silo
    overflows, as well as corrupted PPP packets.  I set kdebug to 1
    and ppp was reporting bad fcs's and bad protocol (?) for
    everything after the first packet, until it eventually ground to a
    halt.  This has occured over both a 28.8k modem connection, using
    port speeds of 115200, 57600, 38400 and 19200, it has also occrued
    over a direct connection using the same speeds.

    Again, it's bizzare that I can send at full speed but reception is
    a problem.

Ok, my current configuration is:
    *	Intel 486dx2-66 in an ASUS SP3G PCI motherboard
    *	Avtek Megaplus v.34 28.8k modem
    *	tty00 and tty01 are both equiped with 16550a uarts

My /etc/ttys lines for both ports are:

tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown off local rtscts
tty01	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown off local rtscts

I have tried to solve this problem for the past few days and as a
final resort i've mailed to the list.  If anyone has an pointers on
where I should look for more information, possible items I have more
than likely incorrectly configured :) or if anyone has been through
similar probs and have come out winning i'd love to hear from you.

Thanx in Advance,
Marcus
---
Marcus Barczak <s933414@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au>