Subject: Re: SLIP stuff
To: Holocaine the Aimless <brice@ist.flinders.edu.au>
From: Rob Dekelbaum <deker@vampire.dial.umd.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/1995 10:32:20
On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Holocaine the Aimless wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Can anyone point me at a FAQ/HOWTO/Sacred Text/Book of Instructions
> for setting up a SLIP/CSLIP/PPP connection over a modem line for NetBSD/sparc
> 1.0?

PPP for netbsd/sparc is fairly simple. you just use some utility (such as
tip, kermit, etc) to establish your connection and then start pppd with
the appropriate switches for your setup. The only problem that i've had
so far is that some sparc class machines (such as my IPC) have a problem
with flow control and therefore drop characters a lot. Aside from the
fact that this causes lots of slow downs due to fifo overruns with a high
speed modem, it tends to drop characters out of the connect string so
kermit doesn't realize that it has connected. Any sugestions? Or has the
serial driver in current been updated at all?

Also, I recall before that I couldn't get SLIP/CSLIP to run due to a
serial driver problem. Has anybody out there gotten SLIP/CSLIP to work on
an IPC? IF so, how?

thanks

rob