Subject: Re: global setting of tty modes
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/1995 13:56:33

> >Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 19:01:19 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>

> >Is there a good way to arrange that all of my xterm windows come up
> >such that I don't need to remember to type "stty -ixon"?  I can't see
> >any reason that I would want XON/XOFF flow control, so I'd like to
> >disable it globally.  Is there a parameter in the kernel that controls
> >this?  Or perhaps something in /etc/ttys (or does that only get
> >consulted for ptys if you do a real login)?  Is there a simple way to
> >do what I want?

> Try the X resource 'xterm.ttyModes'.  See xterm(1).  The manpage only
> talks about reassigning the keys, but it may be that any valid stty
> command will work.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  (This was my first guess.)  It
seems that xterm only recognizes the following strings:

	intr, quit, erase, kill, eof, eol, swtch, start, stop, brk,
	susp, dsusp, rprnt, flush, weras, lnext

which are basically the c_cc fields.  [This is from the ttymodelist
array in the xterm source.]

Besides, I would just as well change the ttyv? virtual terminals too,
although that I rarely use them.

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu