Subject: Re: Good UPS vendors?
To: Robert Shady <rls@kilroy.id.net>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.weru.ksu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/1995 16:03:10
Verily did Robert Shady write:

>> About UPS' etc, we have a little cute Power Technologies UPS, that has a
>> (supposedly) RS232 port. (Pulling voltage on the wierdest pins) but we
>> wrote a little NetBSD daemon that listens on a serial port for the
>> power-down signal, starts a shutdown. (and stops it if power is back) etc
>> etc.

>> Lemme know if this sounds like what you are after, it's only a 30 minute job
>> but works well.

> I would be interested in something like this, along with what your
> pin-outs are.  We are using APC here, may be different, may be the
> same, but still saves me the time of even starting one if yours
> could just be modified to work.

The pinouts for the APC "smart-UPS" are standard RS232 (last time I looked).

The problem is that APC likes to make money off of their "Power-Chute"
software, and they require an NDA (or worse) to get a peek at the
interactive UPS codes.

The point is.. I don't think that APC would use the same code-sequences
as PT since they couldn't control (via NDA) PT's release of the codes.

My $0.02 worth.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://www.ksu.edu/~windsor/

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'