Subject: Re: [Q] Toasted disklabel on sd(0,a) - Fix?
To: Colin BRADLEY <fox@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/11/1995 18:02:34
>    on my /dev/sd0a. I have a system where DOS resides on an IDE
>    drive, and NetBSD-1.0 on the SCSI
>
>    Now when NetBSD boots, it seems to think that it is booting off
>    sd(1,a) instead of sd(0,a). At kernel load time, I guess it doesn't
>    know any better, and proceeds. When it tries to mount /dev/sd1a as
>    the root partition, of course, it panics, as the prescribed
>    partition does not exist.

I would guess that NetBSD knows it is booting from the second drive.
I believe that the 1 in sd(1,a) means use the second disk. The
"sd" means use scsi, "wd" would me IDE. Since you want the second DISK
but the first SCSI-disk. you will need to use "hd" instead.
You can:
	Type in hd(1,a)/netbsd because it IS the second drive
	but I believe it will then try to find out what disk it
	is on.

	Disable your IDE-drive. thus booting from sd(0,a)/netbsd
	correctly since the SCSI-drive will be the first again.

	If you want to find out if your disk is bad do:
	boot your install disk and type:
	disklabel sd0
	if it lists something sensible your disklabel is ok.
	you can even mount it if you want:
	mount /dev/sd0a /mnt

	Under the assumption that hd(1,a)/netbsd (my memory could
	be failing me.) You can then set an option in the
	boot-code which fixes the default-booting partition to hd(1,a)
	so you don't have to type it everytime you boot NetBSD.

	OR: more comfortable make the IDE-disk the second drive
	but be careful when you reinstall os-bsBETA that you don't
	really ruin your disklabel.

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"