Subject: Re: kernel builds, no config
To: None <aron@c2.org>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/1995 11:38:02
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
>From: aron roberts <aron@c2.org>
>

>I'm trying to build a new kernel in hopes of fixing the problem with my
>SIIG I/O card.
>
>I have created a new config file. However, the faq seems to be of the
>opinion that what i need to do is 'config MACHINEID'.
>
>where i am running into problems is my lack of a config command.

Are you running -current, or do you only have a -current source tree?

>running find from the / dir turned up the source to config so I think
>"cool i'll compile that and be on my way".  Lo and behold, there is a
>file the machine desperately wants to include and can't find (and right
>now i can't remember what the hell it is).

>Now this is my first time trying to build a kernel, so i guess my big
>question is: What am i doing wrong?

You should do the following before trying to build config:

cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
cd /usr/src/include; make install

Then:

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make && make install
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf; config MACHINEID
cd ../compile/MACHINEID; make depend && make
mv /netbsd /onetbsd; cp netbsd /netbsd; shutdown -r now

WARNING:  You must have the COMPAT_10 option in your config file, or
your system will puke when you boot with a -current kernel and a 1.0
userland.

Look at the 'build' target in /usr/src/Makefile for hints on how to
finish upgrading your system after this point.

When you're done, don't forget to go back and delete old leftover
things, like config.new.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));