Subject: Problems upgrading from sparc-1.0 to sparc-current
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot@ripe.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/1995 01:03:43
Hi,

I am encountering severe problems updating a sparc from 1.0 to
the -current distribution, on a SUN SLC with 16 MB of memory.

In order to update, I received a file which instructed to:
1. Build/install config from the -current tree (done, works)
2. Build/install gas from the -current tree (works too)
3. Build a kernel from the -current tree. I built both the
   GENERIC and the SUN4C kernel without problems.
   (there was a hitch in last week's stuff involving fpu context
   switching, that is gone)
4. Running the kernel is where the problems start:

esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100 25 MHz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
error... error... (hung)
There is an 'error...' text in the esp driver.

I am at a loss here because I don't know if -current is supposed
to run, or if I have a hardware problem.

I have asked Theo DeRaadt, but he seems a very busy person.
I have been unable to find a pointer to the archives of the netbsd
mailing lists; majordomo at MIT doesn't give a hint, and sun-lamp
seems to have problems every so often so I try to minimalize using it.
A cursory scan on the box didn't reveal the location of the archives.

Can someone who has -current working on sparc please ping me?
Also, if you have a -current kernel I can pick up and test,
I can see if my hardware is OK.

I *really* need to get this going soon as my project will be
dead otherwise....

Thanks,

Geert Jan