Subject: where is gated?
To: None <bcolbert@rucs2.sunlab.cs.runet.edu>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <darykon!simmons@nwnexus.wa.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/1995 07:30:22

>  I have two machines each running NetBSD 1.0 (Rock On!) and one has a
>  ppp connection to the net.  How in the heck do I route packets from the
>  local net machine(s) through the ppp machine?  Don't I need gated?
>  I can't find it anywhere.

Aye!! Here's the rub. I've been playing with IP packet routing for a little
while and here's what I know so far.

	1. First you need an IP address for your local machine that your
	   PPP service KNOWS ABOUT. If their not routing packets targeted
	   for your local machine through your gated machine, your local
	   machine will be able to send packets out, but no packets will
	   come back. (My learning experience! ;^) )

	2. If your service is willing (most aren't and I'll explain,) there
	   are things you can do with the subnetting mask to help route your
	   packets. This requires, though, that they assign you FOUR IP
           addresses: machine one (e.g. X.X.X.1), machine two (X.X.X.2), a
	   network address (X.X.X.0), and a broadcast address (X.X.X.3 using
	   a subnet address of 255.255.255.250) Subnet masks are bitwise, so
	   this is not the only config you can use. However, with this standard
	   TCP/IP method, four address is a minimum.

	3. There might be another method of packet routing that's pseudo-TCP/IP
	   or something else. If you find one, please let me know. Right now,
	   I have my two machine configured as in #2, however my subnet is
           isolated from the Internet. Only my FileServer/Gateway can talk out
	   the PPP/SLIP. I rooted around and found four unsed IP address from
	   my provider, such that my experimenting wouldn't accidently interfere
           with anyone else. This is only temporary.

Hope this helps. I can recommend a good book on TCP/IP from Oreilly and
Associates, "TCP/IP Network Administration." Let me know if you get farther
than I did. :-)

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.wa.com