Subject: funnies compiling current over NFS
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/22/1995 16:50:15
Hi

The following is just an obervation and is not critical (for me at any rate)
just a pain...

Hardware used:		Primary box	Intel 486DX/33
			New Box		Cyrix 486DX/40 (kernel with CYRIX
					hacks installed)

I've been seeing the following strange errors while trying to build
current (well 18 March tar balls) via NFS on a new machine.

I know this current is pretty stale, but it works for me. I build it on my
own box without a hitch. Now I'm trying to install it on my girlfriend's
machine and since the disk is a bit small I NFS mount /usr/src on the
tree on her machine and build from there.

I've noticed the following while trying to build over NFS.

Randomly, I get a 'unknown exception 11 in cc' or something like that (I'm
not with the machines right now). I type 'make' again and it continues
without a problem... :-/

I also got something like the following:

	/usr/include/stdio.h: bad address

Once again typing 'make' again solves the problem. Either error occurs
what looks like at random.

I have not yet started building anything on the local disk, but I think
its NFS related since I noticed that the error usually occurs during heavy
disk access on the NFS host side - I was using the host at the time,
running X on 8Mb RAM (with the resultant swapping).

The host is running a SCSI disk on a NCR controller with a WD8013 card.
The client is running IDE also on a WD8013 card.

Any ideas?

As I said this is not critical, just bothersome :-)

cheers
et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB