Subject: Re: SCSI VLD? IDE VLD Caching?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1995 12:06:44
Kim Andersen said:
> >     I just got a 486 with local bus slots and would like to upgrade my
> >     IDE interface to local bus.  I would also very much like it to be
> >     a caching "controller", such as a Promise.  Any one have any idea
> >     if NetBSD will flip-out if I use this?

> You would be better of using the money for more memory. I've got no idea as
> to what a Promise controller looks like, but I don't think anything
> special are recognised in terms of caching controllers. If the design
> is done properly it should be transparent to the operating system.

	Even better, most of the good SCSI-2 drives will cache
themselves.  With NetBSD, you then have caching at both the system's end
and the drive's end, which makes a caching controller almost pointless.
The memory will do much more for you on the motherboard.

	The Quantum Empire series drives have 512K caches, Seagate Barracudas
have 1024K.  Other drives I don't know about - good ads will list this
with other specs.

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA