Subject: mounting DOS drive for Dummies?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Ding <ericding@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1995 01:41:27
Hi,

I know this has gotta be a FAQ of sorts, but for all the help offered, I've
still not been able to get an answer that works right.  I have, on the
other hand, managed to nuke my NetBSD partition accidentally once, and am
not excited about the prospect of doing it again.  OK, sob story over =),
here's the bottom line.

I've got an all-DOS drive on wd0, and an all NetBSD-drive on wd1.  I
currently am using OS-BS 2.0b8 to boot up.  I'm running NetBSD-current.  I
would like to mount the DOS drive, of course, but get errors about "Device
not configured" (presumably for not having a disklabel).  The fdisk entry
appears as follows:

>******* Working on device /dev/rwd0d *******
>parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
>cylinders=968 heads=10 sectors/track=34 (340 blks/cyl)
>
>parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
>cylinders=968 heads=10 sectors/track=34 (340 blks/cyl)
>
>Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
>Information from DOS bootblock is:
>The data for partition 0 is:
>sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
>    start 34, size 328746 (160 Meg), flag 80
>	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
>	end: cyl 966/ sector 34/ head 9

How can I set up a disklabel that allows me to mount /dev/wd0a on /dos
without clobbering the DOS disk or OS-BS on wd0?  I'm giving specific info
cuz I've gotten vague answers that haven't really helped cuz they always
have a disk with a NetBSD partition (and hence a disklabel already
exists).

Thanks,
Eric
--
450 Memorial Drive #H424                                   ericding@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139-4306                                  H: (617) 225-9424