Subject: Re: SCSI VLD? IDE VLD Caching?
To: Brad Colbert <bcolbert@aac.accurate-automation.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1995 08:11:47
>     I just got a 486 with local bus slots and would like to upgrade my
>     IDE interface to local bus.  I would also very much like it to be
>     a caching "controller", such as a Promise.  Any one have any idea
>     if NetBSD will flip-out if I use this?

IMO, caching controllers are a 'bad thing' under any operating system
that does half reasonable buffering. And in 'real world' performance,
the 4MB that you put on the caching card will be put to better use by
the OS.

>     Also, i would like to add a SCSI adapter so I can add SCSI devices.
>     Can I add it and keep my IDE drives?  Is there a local bus SCSI
>     adapter that NetBSD supports?

Buslogic 445S.

My advice; buy the SCSI card, and replace your IDE devices with SCSI
devices.