Subject: Re: SCSI VLD? IDE VLD Caching?
To: Brad Colbert <bcolbert@aac.accurate-automation.com>
From: Kim Andersen <kim@dde.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1995 00:01:43
>     Hi,
>
>     I just got a 486 with local bus slots and would like to upgrade my
>     IDE interface to local bus.  I would also very much like it to be
>     a caching "controller", such as a Promise.  Any one have any idea
>     if NetBSD will flip-out if I use this?
You would be better of using the money for more memory. I've got no idea as
to what a Promise controller looks like, but I don't think anything
special are recognised in terms of caching controllers. If the design
is done properly it should be transparent to the operating system.

>     Also, i would like to add a SCSI adapter so I can add SCSI devices.
>     Can I add it and keep my IDE drives?  Is there a local bus SCSI
>     adapter that NetBSD supports?

No problem, although you'll have to boot from the IDE. At least the
Buslogic 445S is supported.

regards
kim