Subject: Re: SB16 funfunfun
To: alphaepsilon <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
From: Mark Willey <mwilley@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/1995 12:03:46
alphaepsilon writes:

> From: Mark Willey <mwilley@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu>:
> >You get the Sound Blaster working yet?  I just tried the SCSI card on the
>
> No, actually I haven't.  I updated to current to see if it fixed this
> and when I try to "cat foo.au > /dev/audio" it makes this short popping
> noise and then it just sits there.  If I try and control-C out of it,
> the process jamms up my xterm.  I get a process with a state like:
>
> aellwood  1978  0.0  0.3    72   48 p0- IE    4:19PM    0:00.04 cat foo.au
>
> And nothing kills it.  If I try and use /dev/audio again it says
> "/dev/audio: Device busy."

I fixed an IRQ conflict that supposedly wasn't there.  I moved the SB to
IRQ5 and moved my com port back to com0,irq4.  Now, it works under Descent
in DOS.  (before it did not, but the SB DIAGNOSE program did on both IRQ)
go figure.  So, I boot up UNIX after making a kernel w/ SB on IRQ 5.  When
it runs modload to load in my X LKM, it drops into the debugger with a page
fault.  Reboot.  Hard drive trashed.  45 minutes later and several files
poorer, I disable modload from my rc.local.  Boot up, try the /dev/audio.
got the popping noises, and then a spontaneous reboot.  Something about
pint and 0.  Dunno.  (This time, no kernel debugger in kernel.)

I can't quite recall if that pint stuff was my debugging ?printf's or some
system squawk before it died.  I think my ?printf's are not compiled in.

> Any ideas?
>
> I have a Sound Blaster 16.  It comes up as:
> sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 7 drq 1: dsp v4.13

Move to IRQ 5 if possible.  I hear that IRQ 7 is flaky on some
motherboards.  You have a Micronics from Gateway?  I do.  (4DX33, upgraded
to DX2-66)

> The card works just fine in Windows and with Descent and Doom.

Same here.  I am on 1.0.  Still trying to compile current.  :(  Maybe after
the end of the semester.  :)

for now, I am going to try to make a kernel with nothing extra but the
debugger, SB, and hard drives, and see what that does for me.

I'll send this to Netbsd-help in case anyone knows what's the likely
cause...

Okay, full system setup:
486DX2-66 Gateway w/ 24mb RAM, shadow bios disabled (flako BIOS)
IDE Drives
SB16 ASP w/o ASP SCSI-II  (all standard setups, but no joystics or int.  amps)

Works under DOS in Descent.

Symptom:
either hanging process when doing "cat foo.au > /dev/audio" or more
recently, just rebooting.  (an improvement?)  ;-)

Mark

--
      Ask me about FREE UNIX and X for your PC/Mac/Sun/Amiga/etc...
              mwilley@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu  Mark Willey