Subject: Re: Scsi disk bad, any suggestions?
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/12/1995 15:33:23
In message <m0ryxvW-00006pC@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, Alistair G. Crooks writes:
> > I'm running:
> >
> > NetBSD 1.0/i386
> >

> > With:
> >
> > aha0: 1542C/CF detected, unlocking mailbox
>
> Have you tried using the Adaptec BIOS to verify the media (it's a
> non-destructive verification)?

Nope, I don't have the Adaptec BIOS handy.  However, I am currently
mucking the sd driver to do a SCSI REASSIGN BLOCK command on a
DIOCREASSIGN ioctl.  That way I should be able to rig up something
along the line of a minimal 'format', which will allow me to remap
blocks on devices that support it.  This way I can also check where
the bad block actually is, ie: directory block, inode, etc...

PS:
Yes, the SCSI BIOS is *not* accessible (I would have to bood from
a dos floppy with the adaptec utils) to me.  Local politics being
the way they are, I will not get access to that BIOS any time soon.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |