Subject: Re: Booting an alternative kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Wight <J.K.Wight@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/05/1995 12:12:52
I would like to thank everyone who responded to the following message
of mine yesterday:

> I haven't come across a description of how to interrupt the i386 boot
> sequence in order to boot an alternative kernel, i.e. the equivalent
> of L1 A followed by something like "b vmunix.orig" on a Sun. What is
> the procedure? Is it described somewhere?

Now that I've had it pointed out to me I can see that there is a
momentary pause after the Boot: line is output (I think the interval
must have been chosen by an avid games player to whom it probably
seems like an eternity :-)

I am inclined to excuse myself for not recognising the delay as it is
over in what seems like the blink of an eye. If I even took any notice
of it previously I probably put it down to the system figuring out
what to do next. All the clutter in the line following Boot: doesn't
actually make it look like a prompt. However, now that I know it's
coming I can indeed interrupt the process and boot a different kernel.

Jim