Subject: 0.9 SLIP config doesn't work under 1.0. Please help!
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin BRADLEY <fox@marge.cs.mcgill.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/1995 20:26:49
Hello everyone.

	I've been using SLIP under 0.9 for the longest time.
	It worked great.

	Now I have 1.0 running, and I just got my phone line
	reinstalled (didn't pay the bills...).

	So I go to set up the SLIP line, like I've done 1000
	times before:

		a) dial terminal server with kermit
		b) set up on that end

		c) escape back to my machine
		d) run the following commands:

		slattach -h -m -s 19200 /dev/com1
		ifconfig sl0 my.slip.adr.ess
		ifconfig sl0 netmask 255.255.255.0
		ifconfig sl0 broadcast the.broad.cast.address
		route add default the.gate.way.address

	And away we go! Right?

	Well, I go to telnet out, and nothing gets sent to the port.
	Absolutely nothing. No activity on the modem. None.

	Nothing else goes out either. ping, ftp, rlogin, ...

	Thing is, I don't think I've changed anything since it
	was working under 0.9.

	/dev/com1 is linked to /dev/tty01, my resolv.conf, hosts,
	ttys, everything is the same.

	Has something changed with 1.0 as far as slip is concerned?

	Is there a way to verify the interface has been configured
	correctly?

	Am I doing something wrong?

	I would REALLY appreciate any pointers or tips here.

	Thanks a million in advance.

Regards, Colin.

--
Colin Bradley