Subject: Re: Building a boot floppy
To: None <F.A.Bergamaschi@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/1995 11:58:41

>> You should be able to type the name of the disk that you want to boot
>> the kernel from into the the "Boot:" prompt.  Something like "sd0a"
>> should be enough.
>
>Would that work with a non-BIOS SCSI controller like the one in the
>Sound Balster 16 ?? My feeling is that it won't because until the kernel
>is booted the SCSI controller is unknown to the rest of the hardware.

Oops, the NetBSD boot program does use the BIOS.  Perhaps a special
version of the boot program could be made that would know about your
SB-16 SCSI could be made, but I don't have any equipment like it to
develop such a beast.

>Is there any way to use DOS to boot the kernel from a file in the IDE disk
>and then jump to the SCSI one ?

Probably not.

Perhaps you could use FIPS to generate a small NetBSD partition on
your IDE drive.  I don't know how small the root filesystem could be
made, but with /var and /usr /home on the SCSI drive I guess 5MB.

This would allow you to install OS-BS to choose the OS a bit like LILO
does.