Subject: Re: Building a boot floppy
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/1995 12:41:13
In message <9502161658.AA01206@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Kenneth Stailey writes:

> >Is there any way to use DOS to boot the kernel from a file in the IDE disk
> >and then jump to the SCSI one ?
>
> Probably not.

I use a 1542CF/1GB drive combo, that has the BIOS disabled for my NetBSD stuff.
I boot it by using the floppy drive, with a kernel that has sd0a and sd0b hard
wired in the config file.  Then at the boot prompt, all I do is give it the
'-r' flag, and when it boots, it switches to sd0a for root.

It's slow, but it works.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |