Subject: Re: Building a boot floppy
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Flavio Bergamaschi <F.A.Bergamaschi@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/1995 17:12:22
Kenneth,

Thanks for you reply but I still have some questions.

> You should be able to type the name of the disk that you want to boot
> the kernel from into the the "Boot:" prompt.  Something like "sd0a"
> should be enough.

Would that work with a non-BIOS SCSI controller like the one in the
Sound Balster 16 ?? My feeling is that it won't because until the kernel
is booted the SCSI controller is unknown to the rest of the hardware.

> If you want to automatically boot from the floppy to the sd0a you will
> have to change the boot program.  The "disklabel" program installs
> boot code to floppies as well as other disks.  It uses the contents of
> the /usr/mdec directory.  The source for /usr/mdec/fdboot is somewhere
> under /sys/arch/i386/.  Good luck.

I tought this should be much simpler to do, something in the line of the LINUX
loader where I could boot the kernel on the floppy and then tell the system to
mount the partitions on the sd0.

Is there any way to use DOS to boot the kernel from a file in the IDE disk
and then jump to the SCSI one ?

--
Flavio

Flavio A. Bergamaschi           | email: F.Bergamaschi@ecs.soton.ac.uk |
Electronics and Computer Science| voice: +44 703 592704                |
Mountbatten Bldg. 4037          | fax:   +44 703 593045                |
University of Southampton       |                                      |
Southampton, SO17 1BJ , U.K.    |                                      |