Subject: Re: Cannot get my SoundBlaster Pro working
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: Mark Willey <mwilley@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/1995 14:43:22
Brett Lymn writes:

> to support it.  I chose interrupt 7 and DMA channel 3 for the card and
> setup the jumpers accordingly.  When the siren boots it gets up to
> probing sb0 and tells me that "DMA Channel 3 is invalid for this card"

What Jason said should fix your problem.  I have a slightly different
problem with my SB16 SCSI-II w/o ASP.

I have seen others report this type of error as well.  It looks like it's
fine, but when you do a "cat file.au > /dev/audio" the process never exits,
and you can't kill it.  No sound, either, BTW.  ;-)  Now there is no
provision in the config for setting your 16-bit DMA channel to anything, so
I'm thinking that's it.  I'd like to debug the driver, but I don't know how
to set "breakpoints" or output some diagnostic printfs in kernel code.  I
assume I can't just printf, right?

Here's what makes me wonder:
/sys/arch/i386/isa/sbreg.h:
/*
 * SoundBlaster register definitions.
 * See "The Developer Kit for Sound Blaster Series, User's Guide" for more
 * complete information (avialable from Creative Labs, Inc.).  We refer
 * to this documentation as "SBK".
 *
 * We handle two types of cards: the basic SB version 2.0+, and
 * the SB PRO.  There are several distinct pieces of the hardware:

**Does this mean that the SB-16 is not supported?**  Is anyone using one of
these, or does anyone know what the status of that hardware is?

>From the kernel config file:
options         SBPRO
# SCSI-II on SB16
controller      aic0    at isa? port 0x340 irq 11
#sound-blaster
device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 bio irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
					   ^^^		   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anyone know what the underlined things mean?

# speaker queue
pseudo-device   speaker      <----- hope this don't hurt anything.
# audio
pseudo-device   audio

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   42, 128 Feb 13 14:20 /dev/audio

Oh, BTW, it takes a bit of time in the kernel load to detect the SB card.
Like maybe more than ten seconds.

Mark

--
      Ask me about FREE UNIX and X for your PC/Mac/Sun/Amiga/etc...
              mwilley@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu  Mark Willey