Subject: Re: boot pothole #2
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: William V Roth <bud@selway.umt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/1995 07:53:13
On Sun, 12 Feb 1995, Jason Thorpe wrote:

[quoting me]
>  > Next it asks, "Enter terminal type: ".  I have no documentary
>  > that tells me what to do, so I type "tty".  It responds with a "#" prompt
>  > to which nothing, but the answer, "exit", works.  Except, "exit" just
>  > reruns part of the initialization and gets me back to the "Enter shell
>  > path" prompt.
>
> heh - congratulations - I'd call it successful.  The ``stuff' you see
> is the output from the autoconfiguration sequence...The `#' prompt in
> this case indicates single-user mode.  The last time I used a Mac, I
> think vt100 worked fine for the console...Sounds like you're missing
> /etc/fstab or somesuch, since it keeps coming into single-user...

I tried vt100 and next entered a command ("ls") at the "#" prompt.  I got
a directory list, but then the system hung.  BTW, I had selected single
user on the booter prefs.

TIA,

Bud

William Roth (aka Bud)   |   first year student   |   tel. 406-728-2305
1310 Gerald Ave. #4      |   UM Law School        |   bud@selway.umt.edu
Missoula, MT 59801       |   Missoula, Montana    |   Call for fax no.