Subject: Re: boot pothole #2
To: William V Roth <bud@selway.umt.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1995 23:39:41
On Sun, 12 Feb 1995 23:32:57 -0700 (MST)
 William V Roth <bud@selway.umt.edu> wrote:

 > 1. The boot jumps from the booter console to a whole screen interface.
 > (It is impossible to tell if it is the unix screen or it is a debugger.)
 > A copyright and email address is listed.  Then a whole lot of info about
 > memory and other stuff comes out.  One line reads, "weird mapping begins
 > 0x0."  Then a few tests are made.  Some go o.k.  Some say read only.
 > Then, inevitably, an "enter shell path or press return for sh: " prompt
 > appears.  I hit return.  It says putting "." before pathname, and
 > continues. Next it asks, "Enter terminal type: ".  I have no documentary
 > that tells me what to do, so I type "tty".  It responds with a "#" prompt
 > to which nothing, but the answer, "exit", works.  Except, "exit" just
 > reruns part of the initialization and gets me back to the "Enter shell
 > path" prompt.

heh - congratulations - I'd call it successful.  The ``stuff' you see
is the output from the autoconfiguration sequence...The `#' prompt in
this case indicates single-user mode.  The last time I used a Mac, I
think vt100 worked fine for the console...Sounds like you're missing
/etc/fstab or somesuch, since it keeps coming into single-user...

 > Am I close to a successful boot?
 >
 > TIA,
 >
 > Bud
 >
 > William Roth (aka Bud)   |   first year student   |   tel. 406-728-2305
 > 1310 Gerald Ave. #4      |   UM Law School        |   bud@selway.umt.edu
 > Missoula, MT 59801       |   Missoula, Montana    |   Call for fax no.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939