Subject: boot pothole #2
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William V Roth <bud@selway.umt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1995 23:32:57
I received some advice on how to get netbsd running on my 8mb se/30.  I
installed MODE32 on a skeleton sys 7.5 and tried to boot (with the
netbsd.patch for 1.0 and the netbsd.tar that Adam told me to try).  I
tried clicking the single user mode and without.  Generally, the same
problems occurred.

1. The boot jumps from the booter console to a whole screen interface.
(It is impossible to tell if it is the unix screen or it is a debugger.)
A copyright and email address is listed.  Then a whole lot of info about
memory and other stuff comes out.  One line reads, "weird mapping begins
0x0."  Then a few tests are made.  Some go o.k.  Some say read only.
Then, inevitably, an "enter shell path or press return for sh: " prompt
appears.  I hit return.  It says putting "." before pathname, and
continues. Next it asks, "Enter terminal type: ".  I have no documentary
that tells me what to do, so I type "tty".  It responds with a "#" prompt
to which nothing, but the answer, "exit", works.  Except, "exit" just
reruns part of the initialization and gets me back to the "Enter shell
path" prompt.

Am I close to a successful boot?

TIA,

Bud

William Roth (aka Bud)   |   first year student   |   tel. 406-728-2305
1310 Gerald Ave. #4      |   UM Law School        |   bud@selway.umt.edu
Missoula, MT 59801       |   Missoula, Montana    |   Call for fax no.