Subject: New Boot Floppy and Install
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <curfman@cards.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/1995 10:39:29
Hello,
   Thanks to Chris Tham for getting a floppy tape driver working for NetBSD 1.0
   After testing it quite thoroughly, I decided I would try to use this
   opportunity to distribute the tapes to my friends who have a floppy tape.

   I made a tape of the binaries for NetBSD 1.0 and X.  I then ran into the
   problem.  How will they be able to read the tape without having the sources
   (to rebuild the kernel) and the ft (the program to use the tape device)
   binary.

   Then a flash of light came.  How about giving them my kernel. Now come the
   questions:

   1) is the kc-aha installation floppy JUST a kernel raw-written to a floppy?
      and can I JUST raw-write my kernel to the floppy?

   2) If I can do one - how do I get the ft driver onto the inst-10 floppy?
      It has to exist somewhere to extract the files from the tape.

   3) Is the NetBSD team planning on doing what I described above in the
      near future?  I think it would be great.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
--
Brian Curfman
Strictly Business Computer Systems, Inc.