Subject: Re: Pentium PCI System config, any warnings? (fwd)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/1995 16:54:34
Verily did Ty Sarna write:

> [...]  Also, I
> think SCSI-2 WIDE allows 16 (or 32) units.  At least, that's what I've
> heard...  I've never seen any WIDE hardware, tho'.

Wide is still limited to 8 devices (one being the controller).  It only
has three bits assigned to device addressing (as do all of the other SCSI
types).  "Wide" only adds an extra 8 bits to the data bus.  The control
commands and path are still the same.

Rumor has it that SCSI-3 will have 4 bits available for ID (among other
incompatable^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hnicer things).   :>

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'