Subject: Re: Weird happenings with 1.0R
To: Bror 'Count' Heinola <count@snafu.muncca.fi>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/1995 08:55:23
"Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@snafu.muncca.fi>  wrote:
 > 	1) Characters are missing from the screen. Ie. there are empty spaces
 > 	instead of characters, and the places change randomly if screen is
 > 	refreshed with CTRL-L. Same thing happens with GENERICAHA and my
 > 	custom kernel.

This looks familiar.

 > 	GREEN 486DX motherboard (ALI chipset) with 486DX2/50 CPU / 256k cache

uh huh... This is one of those motherboards that has PCI, VLB and ISA
slots, plus supports any cpu from 486sx33 all the way up to 486DX4/100,
and has a billion jumper settings for everything from wait staites, to
whether the kitchen sink gets cleaned after you make chili... It also
cost about $75 CDN right?

I was going to buy one of these motherboards (for $75 plus CPU I figured
I couldn't go wrong) but after hearing the hell one of my friends went
through with this same motherboard, I decided to give it a  miss... He
was running an Adaptec 1542CF, a GUS card, built-in modem, and some other
minor gunk... His screen was missing characters and the whole bit... Also
it was acting weird in general... ie: the GUS card was missing some
channels during DOOM, et'al...

Finally, everything worked fine with the GUS card removed... He then
started changing some of the settings on the Adaptec and finally most
everything worked including the GUS card...

After I saw this I thought, nope, I don't need those headaches and
didn't buy the motherboard...

Not that this is overly helpful, but I thought I'd share what little
experience I've had with "GREEN" motherboards...