Subject: Pentium PCI System config, any warnings?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Cameron Incoll <cameron@fulcrum.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/1995 15:30:06
hello all,

thanks to all who responded to my last post about the diamond video card, I
did find that it was supported by XFree86 as documented in README.S3:

	1 - Supported hardware
	----------------------
[snip]
		S3 964, AT&T Bt485 RAMDAC, ICD2061A Clockchip
			Diamond Stealth 64

				8, 15/16, 24(32) bpp

So I will probably go with this. (unless I'm wrong, of course :-)

Anyway,  I would like to bounce my proposed config off you all, to see if I
have read all the right documents and picked the right hardware.
So here goes:

	Pentium PT5 90, PCI (512K cache, 3 PCI,2 VESA 3(5) ISA)
	16 Mb RAM (2 * 8Mb 72 pin SIMM)
	Award or AMI BIOS (Not sure which)
	NCR PCI SCSI-2 Controller
	Quantum 540Mb SCSI HDD
	2Mb Diamond Stealth PCI DRAM Graphics Card
	VESA Dual 16550 UART I/O Card (2S. 1P etc)
	1.44Mb Mitsumi FDD
	Creative Labs Quad Spin "Edutainment Pack" (SCSI-2 CD Drive and Card)
	medium tower case, keyboard, monitor blah blah blah

	The Creative Labs Pack comes with a Soundblaster Card/SCSI Controller
	combined into one. as well as lots of free cd's that I would probably
	not buy anyway... the CD DRIVE is a TEAC i think.

I want to run NetBSD and XFree, yet we need to run DOS as well as my
girlfriend writes programs in that environment.

As far as I can tell, the PCI bus should present no probs, the NCR SCSI
controller should be ok, HDD ok, FDD ok, IO Card ok, CD-ROM ok (can plug
into NCR SCSI Ctrlr)...

But what about Soundblaster/SCSI Card ??  Has anyone heard of, had any
experience with these?

I will be buying this system real soon.

thanks in advance

cam

F  U  L  C  R  U  M                                                          ()
                                Cameron Incoll                        /\
                                  Consultant                          ""
The Fulcrum Consulting Group, 12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Telephone: +61-3-621-2100      cameron@fulcrum.com.au      Fax: +61-3-621-2724

Me:	"Are you Superstitous?"
Bob:	"No! Don't be silly.  Everyone knows it's bad luck to be superstitious."