Subject: [Q] Installation via SLIP (probs with tip)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Rosauer <br@netland.sub.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/1995 17:04:58
   I am trying to install NetBSD 1.0 on my notebook via a SLIP
connection.  The distribution resides on a standalone host running
NetBSD 1.0 itself. Host and notebook are connected by a nullmodem
cable, /dev/tty00 to /dev/tty00.
   After installing the file system on my notebook I would like to
load the distribution from my host by FTP over a SLIP connection.  As
a first step I try to start a "tip" session on my notebook which
fails, unfortunately. On my host, /etc/ttys shows
   tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown on rtscts softcar
and, on my notebook, /etc/remote shows
   com0:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:
If getty isn't running for /dev/tty00 on my host, invoking "tip com0"
on my notebook delivers a "link down" message. If getty is running
"tip com0" results in a core dump.
   Is there something wrong with my setup? I would be happy for every
hint you could give me.
   Thanks for your attention and help,

--
Bernd Rosauer