Subject: Help with WD PCI E-IDE disk
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <David_Eckhardt@ROBIN.WARP.cs.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/1995 04:35:20
I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.0 on a Dell Dimension XPS P90
with a PCI E-IDE disk.

I can boot the installation floppies ok, but can't ever access the
disk.  That is, the kernel probes and finds the controller and drive

wdc0 at isa0 port 1f0-1f7 IRQ 14
wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: 516 MB 1120 cyl 16 hd 59 sec <QUANTUM LIGHTNING 540A>

But when it goes to write the disk label, the drive seems to seek and
access, but the kernel just says

wdc0: lost interrupt, status 0 error 0

every 5 seconds until I halt the machine.

I've tried skipping past install and making "disklabel wd0" my first
access, but that has the same result.

Is this possibly related to the fact that my controller is PCI E-IDE
which the BIOS is mapping to look like an ISA controller, and maybe the
interrupt isn't being mapped well enough?  The port and IRQ values that
probe finds match what NetBSD wants.

Is it possibly related to the size of the PCI bus area mapped into ISA
space, which is some pretty small value?

Is it possibly related to me using fake (i.e., DOS) geometry?

Is there some way I can turn on debugging in the wd driver?

Dave
P.S. I happened to have a FreeBSD 1.1 CD-ROM sitting around, and it is
able to talk to the disk (though the driver gets confused by the fake
geometry and fails just after munching on the partition table).