Subject: More SMC Elite16C Ultra Problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/1995 00:09:24
Well I gave up on using IRQ2 and broke DOS and made it use IRQ 10 with
the appropriate base I/O addr and RAM address.  Although the RAM
address conflicts with something in DOS, it appears to be a DOS
problem (see below).  NetBSD boots fine and this time I get no NIC
memory corrupt errors when I ifconfig.

However when I try:
route add default <my gateway IP addr>
I get:
writing to routing socket: file exists
add net default: gateway 18.238.0.1: File exists

"route flush" doesn't help any (I get the same File exists error).

Then if I try and ping a computer on the same subnet (no gateway
inbetween) I get:
ed2: device timeout

What could be wrong now?

Oh and in this configuration I can't use the card in DOS (it works in
every other or even this one if at another RAM address).  Do I have to
put it at CC00-CFFF?  The problem is that something is really weird
about that RAM.  It seems as if it's getting initialized wrong,
because I look at it with debug and it's set to 00 00 00, etc, whereas
when I have the same setup except excluding D000-D3FF in EMM386, I get
ZZ ZZ ZZ, etc in that memory location.  So something else is
initializing the memory or something.

Now I would think this is remapped ROM, except A) I have all that
turned off except the system BIOS remapping (which you can't turn off
-- and I looked up where that goes...not the same place) and B) if I
don't exclude that memory, EMM386 puts stuff there (like itself).

Has anyone ever seen this?

Oh, and I only have 1 floppy drive.  Unfortunately I have no way to
recompile myself a kernel to see if that fixes it.  I'll try and
borrow someone's floppy drive if I can't get ed2 to work.

Alexandra Ellwood
(aellwood@mit.edu)