Subject: PPP
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <curfman@cards.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/1995 10:35:53
Ok,
   So i've gotten a little ways on getting ppp working on my
NetBSD 1.0 box.  very little. I do have PPP in the kernel.

Heres what I have/do:

1: /etc/hosts is "127.0.0.1 localhost gateway"
   should I place my IP addres in here like:
      127.0.0.1 localhost
      xxx.x.x.x gateway

2: I have no network interface defined in my kernel - do i need to
   use ifconfig for any reason?

3: I use "route add -net <remote IP> <my IP>" - which at this point
   is 127.0.0.1 - back to one - should I place my xxx.x.x.x Ip address
   here - or do i even need to run route?

4: I then run pppd like this:

      pppd -d /dev/tty00 38400 $LOCALIP:$REMOTEIP
      connect 'chat -v '''' atdt'$PHONE_NUMBER' CONNECT '''' ogin:
      '$USER_NAME' assword: '$PASSWORD passive defaultroute modem crtscts lock

   (on one line of course).

   I can see pppd and chat running (via ps) but /var/log/messages gives
   me :
      ppp start by curfman
      unable to establish connection

   if I try to ping the remote address it does nothing - same with telnet.
   if i dont use the route command - it doesnt like the address - so i am guessing
   that i needed to run route.

   After a ping (or some amount of time) pppd dies.

   The weird part is that when I ping i expect to hear my modem dial - but
   no - it doesnt.

ANY help on these questions (or even a BSD <NetBSD> document) would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Brian Curfman
Strictly Business Computer Systems, Inc.