Subject: Re: SMC8216C card not working
To: None <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael Bradford <mbradfor@milliways.uark.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/1995 00:48:17
On Tue, 24 Jan 1995 aellwood@MIT.EDU wrote:

> So I try "ifconfig ed0 18.238.0.94" and get tons of this message:
> ed0: NIC memory corrupt - packet length 0
> ...which I have been lead to believe is a bad thing ;)

Something you might check on your machine is to make sure that you don't
have any shadowing going on in the adaptor RAM. You can check this in your
CMOS setup, and presumably disable it if necessary. I have come across
this many times installing 8216's (and other NIC's) in different machines,
and it would cause the type of error described in the "...NIC memory
corrupt..." message you mentioned. Also, check to see if any of your other
cards are using the D000-D3FFF address range (this is a more likely cause).

> When NetBSD boots I get the following line for the ethernet card:
> ed0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x29F iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff IRQ 9:             \
> 	address 00:00:c0:58:2a:7a, type SMC8216/SMC8216C (16-bit) AUI
>
> This is sort of correct:
> I am using I/O base 280-29F and RAM D000-D3FF.
> However, I'm using 10BaseT (not AUI).  The other problem is that while

When netbsd reports the bit about "...(16-bit) AUI" in the startup
messages, it doesn't necessarily mean that it thinks you're trying to use
the AUI port. I'm guessing that it's just letting you know that it's there
- unless I'm mistaken, you can buy 8216's without the AUI combo option. I
get the same message with both cards in my machine -- both are combo cards
and only one of them uses AUI.

Hopes this helps at least a little...

Regards
Mike Bradford                              internet: mbradfor@comp.uark.edu
Network Services
Dept. of Computing Services	      University of Arkansas - Fayetteville