Subject: Re: SMC8216C card not working
To: None <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/1995 00:27:33
>When NetBSD boots I get the following line for the ethernet card:
>ed0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x29F iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff IRQ 9:             \
>	address 00:00:c0:58:2a:7a, type SMC8216/SMC8216C (16-bit) AUI
>
>This is sort of correct:
>I am using I/O base 280-29F and RAM D000-D3FF.
>However, I'm using 10BaseT (not AUI).  The other problem is that while
>I have the card set to IRQ 2, IRQ 2 is the magic remapping IRQ so it
>loads as IRQ 9 (in DOS too).

Right, so IRQ 9 is really correct.  My understanding is that on all AT class
machines, IRQ 2 and IRQ 9 are really the same.  Do you even have an AUI port
on this card?  If there is only one interface, then the "aui" message is
really a red herring.

>So I try "ifconfig ed0 18.238.0.94" and get tons of this message:
>ed0: NIC memory corrupt - packet length 0
>...which I have been lead to believe is a bad thing ;)

It generally means that something is screwed up ... one common thing is
something interfering with the shared memory window.

>Now according to the install notes, the kernel only recognizes:
>IRQ	I/O Base (hex)	Starting RAM addr (hex)
>2	280		D000
>2	250		D800
>10	300		CC00
>
>Now I would try to put the ethernet card on IRQ 10 in the third
>configuration, since IRQ 2 is weird, but some sort of DOS magic keeps
>my ethernet card from working when the starting RAM address is CC00,
>even if I exclude CC00-D0FF in EMM386.  This keeps me from being able
>to test the card (or use it at all in DOS).

If your card won't work under DOS with the supplied software, it's unlikely
to work under NetBSD :-)  You might try playing with your BIOS - some BIOSes
re-map these shared memory regions, but allow you to turn off the mapping.

>Plus my SCSI controller
>(which was on IRQ 9 a few reboots ago) appears to have decided it
>likes IRQ 10 better, and I can't figure out how to change it (because
>I thought it was jumpered to IRQ 9).  And to top it all off, the SMC
>setup program complains that there's something at I/O base address
>300.  So basically I would have to rip my whole machine apart to set
>the ethernet card up in the third configuration.

It's either that, or install off of floppies (blah).

>Everything else seems to load up fine, except I get one line:
>ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 15
>Is that my sound card?

No, ignore it - it's a failed probe from another ethernet card driver.

--Ken