Subject: Re: repartioning existing drive w/o losing data
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/1995 01:20:57
>There's a program called `FIPS' that will do that.  I think it
>requires running some other `optimizer' program to compress the data
>to the beginning of the partition.

I've used FIPS before.  Some caveats:

- As mentioned, you need to defragement your drive to be able to split it as
  much as possible (FIPS will refuse to split a partition at a point where files
  still live on the second part).  When I used it, we used one of the Norton
  tools to do this.

- After running FIPS, the block sector offset in the MS-DOS partition table was
  correct, but the cyl/head/sector start was totally hosed up.  This didn't
  affect the NetBSD install, but when I tried booting off of that parition I
  got "No operating system" (but booting from a floppy and selection hd(0,a)
  would work).  I used the NetBSD fdisk to fix this.

I didn't back anything up when I did this (it was on a friend's drive, and he
trusted me :-) ).  It all worked without losing anything, but I wouldn't
recommend it if you couldn't recover everything.

--Ken