Subject: How to compile successfully Motif-2.0 on NetBSD-1.0/i386 w/ XFree-3.1?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Steven de Sagun Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/1995 14:47:02
Dear sirs,

I am trying to compile the Motif-2.0 sources, and am having quite a number
of problems with it.  Some questions follow:

1.  Can Motif-2.0 be compiled with X11R6 (XFree86-3.1 for NetBSD-1.0), and
    has anyone been successful?  Is it possible even though the README
    file says that compilation is only supported under X11R5?

2.  Do you really need the whole and complete X11R5/X11R6 source tree (all
    100 megs or so of it) to be able to compile it?  Do the Motif-2.0 sources
    really need to be under the same top directory as the X11R5/X11R6
    source tree?  If so, where?  I've looked at some of the generated
    Makefiles when using imake, but all the variables point to the wrong
    directories.

3.  Configuring the Motif *.tmpl files and site.def files are a real pain
    in the @$$!  I have read the README over and over, making sure all the
    possible defines needed and all the variables are correctly pointing to
    their directories in all the necessary config files.  Yet, I look over
    my generated top directory Makefile, and things still don't point to the
    right directories.  I can't even get past the "make Makefiles" stage due
    to syntax errors in the top level Makefile (...needs operator...@@'s),
    most likely generated because of faulty config files.  Has anyone done
    this correctly for NetBSD-1.0/i386 and XFree86-3.1/XFree86-2.1.1??

As you can see, I'm having quite a bit of problems compiling it,
considering I can't even get past the second step.  Much of the problem is
mostly due to syntax errors in the Makefiles generated by imake.  I don't
know the syntax of imake very well, and can't really see what's going on.
Can anyone out there who has successfully compiled them share their config
files?  Any other suggestions?

Sincerely,

Mark Steven de Sagun Tamola
buckwild@u.washington.edu