Subject: tip and cu
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <curfman@cards.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/1995 08:30:56
Hi all,
   I have been trying for too long to get tip and/or cu to work on
my system.  I have NetBSD 1.0 (not current) installed on a
Gateway 2000 4/66 with 8MB ram, SB Pro card, 14.4 internal modem
(more on this later).

Right to the point: I had 0.9 installed and tried to get tip working
on it...but to no avail.  So, since 1.0 has PPP I decided to try and
get it working on my machine.

I decided to go the *** SIMPLE *** route first and get tip to work
then move on to PPP (I have PPP on a sun at work).  Yeah right. A
colleague at work has an older computer and has tip and PPP working fine
on his POS computer.  Arghhh!

Well,  I set everything up fine as explained in all the FAQ's and man pages.
I set my port (tty00) to 666 uucp.dialer, made sure tip was 4511 uucp.dialer,
made sure the lock directory existed and edited my remote file to make it
correct.

Now to try tip - wait about 10 seconds - "link down" - no [connected]
try cu - ah [connected] - try atdt - oooohhhh "cu: write: Input/Output
error"  - damn. I then asked my friend at work for his setup.  All files,
permissions, ... were the same.

After going in this loop for about a week - I decided to commandere? an
external modem from work.  Tip and cu do get a TR (Terminal ready) on the
external but I still ge tthe same results.

I also have another friend I asked to re-install (space probelms)  NetBSD
to 1.0.  SAME PROBLEMS...and he even has an external modem.

ANY HELP on this would be greatly appreaciated.

BTW: on boot I get two messages that worry me -

1) NetBSD 1.0 thinks my B: floppy (1.2 MB) is a 720KB drive - this was not
   a problem in 0.9
2) I receive a warning/message?? stating that i have an "unknown AT&T
   type board code 15"  I take it this is my SB PRo sound card.  Could
   this be conflicting with tip???

Thanks for any help
--
Brian Curfman
Strictly Business Computer Systems, Inc.