Subject: RIP over PPP (partII)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/1995 23:37:18
Hi

I posted last week I was having problems getting my network at home
propagated via RIP over PPP...

Thank you for the suggestions, but I do have option gateway defined and
static routing the net gets some results... While preparing the netstat
dumps for posting I noticed what clearly MUST be the problem:

I administer a Class B network (ctech.ac.za) and run a netmask of
255.255.255.0,ie. all my subnets are Class C. BUT for my home net, and others
on campus who would like to do the same that their homes, I subnetted one of
my Class C nets into smaller networks with a mask of 255.255.255.240 leaving
a useable 14 hosts per net.

NOW, netstat reports that the network propagated is a Class C and NOT this
chopped network!

A snipped of my netstat at home :

Destination      Gateway            Flags       Interface
155.238.239.16	 #link1		    UC		ed0

The netstat on the PPP host at work shows:

Destination      Gateway            Flags      Interface
155.238.239      155.238.3.16       UG         ppp0
155.238.239.16   155.238.3.16       UGH        ppp0

I can ping from my network (both boxes) to the PPP host at work and visa versa
but only from the PPP box at home FURTHER into the Net, the SUN on the same
segment work has this in its routing table:

Destination      Gateway            Flags      Interface
155.238.239.16   155.238.4.16       UGH        le0

AND I can ping on that address from anywhere on the net - it works too! :-/

Is there anyway to increase the resolution of the subnetting?

If NOT, what is the recommended way of doing this???

Rdgs
Ernst
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB