Subject: A-to-D with SBPRO on 1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff CHILTON <chiltj@ois.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/1995 19:35:25
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the secret to reading from the
/dev/audio device on NetBSD 1.0 with a Soundblaster "Pro" [1] in it.

Opened for write, it works as expected--I write bytes, sound issues
from the speaker.  If I open read-only then my attempt to read just
blocks in read() until I ctrl-c it.

I've been amusing myself by looking at bsd_audio.c and sb.c, and by
putting printf's into same.  This exercise seems to confirm that it
is sending the SB_DSP_RDMA command to the board (without error) but
the end-of-DMA interrupt service code never gets called.

What'd-ya think?

/jwc

[1] Ever notice how anything with "Pro" in it's name is strictly for
    hobbyist-duty?