Subject: Re: [Q] Notebook ?
To: Bernd Wiserner <wiserner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Eric Hvozda - API <hvozda@ops.raynet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/13/1995 14:48:49
> I want to buy a notebook which should run NetBSD 1.0
>
> It should :
> 	- have at least 500 Meg Disk
> 	- ethernet ( PCMCIA or whatever )
> 	- VGA with at least 1024x768 under X with 256 colors .
>
> Any suggestions ?

I run Net on my notebook with:

520Mb disk
20Mb RAM
cl64xx video adapter

I recommend getting 16550 UARTs if you can manage it.  It will make
a major difference.  Support for the cl64xx has been submitted to
XFreee86 [tm] and will be in the next version.  I don't knwo other
notebook vidoe chipsets are supported out there, but you might end
up only using 16 of those 256 colors.  I find 500Mb a bit small.  You
might want to opt for the new 800Mb disks that are coming (are they
here yet?).

Stefan Grefen has working PCMCIA code you can add on.  Megahertz modems
and D-LINK 650 ethernet cards are supported.  I have a D-LINK CT-650,
but it doesn't work with the drivers.  I'm looking into it, but I've
got some things going on here that isn't allowing me to spend the time
I would like on it.